One Club, or Another…

Katlyn, staff

At Springvillle, we have many club options. Often times, students avoid joining clubs based on a natural fear of the unknown. So, I gathered all the information on Springville’s club options and dropped them here, giving you a master list of what we offer, who runs it, and what each group is all about.

-Beta Club, with Mrs. Higdon

Beta club’s mission is to promote the ideals of academic achievement, character, service and leadership among elementary and secondary school students. (A service organization that encourages people to get good grades and make a difference in the community)

-Key Club, with Mrs. Umphrey

Key club is an international, student-led organization that provides its members with opportunities to provide service, build character, and develop leadership. ( A service organization like Beta club, but without the grade requirement)

-SADD, (Students Against Destructive Decisions) with Mrs. Wesley

SADD strives to provide the youth of America with the resources they need to lead healthy, happy, and empowered lives. (They do Red Ribbon Week and the Choice Bus.)

-FCCLA, (Family, Career and Community Leaders of America) with Mrs. Weston

FCCLA’s mission is to promote personal growth and leadership development through Family and Consumer Sciences education. Focusing on the multiple roles of family member, wage earner and community leader, members develop skills for life through character development, creative and critical thinking, interpersonal communication, practical knowledge, and career preparation. (The people that sell you coffee in the morning)

-FFA, (Future Farmers of America) With Mr.Vann

The goal of FFA is to make a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education. (They do Farm Day!!)

-1st Priority, With Mrs. Morrisson

First Priority’s mission statement starts with a verse from the Bible, Judges 2:10 “When all that generation had been gathered to their fathers, another generation arose after them who did not know the Lord nor the work which He had done for Israel.” The goal of first priority is to give students a community of believers in school.

-FCA, (Fellowship of Christian Athletes), With Coach Ford

The mission of FCA is to present to coaches and athletes and all whom they influence the challenge and adventure of receiving Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, serving Him in their relationships and in the fellowship of the church. (Like 1st priority, but for athletes)

-Mu Alpha Theta, With Mrs. Mahaffey

The goal of Mu Alpha Theta is to inspire a keen interest in mathematics, developing strong scholarship in the subject, and promote the enjoyment of mathematics in high school and two-year college students.

-Student Council, With Ms. Riker

The goal of student council is to promote and provide leadership development opportunities to prepare and empower student leaders to serve their schools and communities. (This is your student body president, class officers, etc.)

It may be late in the year to join most of these clubs, but now you know for next year. People always say that clubs are too much to do, but even Thomas Jefferson said, “I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.” (Plus, clubs look great on college applications!!!) Even if you can’t be involved in a school club, there are plenty of places you can make a difference, or do something you love. So GO and get involved!