M&Ms Vs. Skittles: What’s your Flavor?

Isabella, Staff

Image result for skittles and M&MS together

The Chewy candy that we are so familiar with today first came into existence in 1974. Skittles spent the first five years of its life solely in Britain, since it wasn’t until 1979 that North America got a chance to taste the rainbow. There is much thought surrounding the creator of Skittles, as nobody really knows exactly who first made them. One story suggests that a British man named Mr. Skittles looked at a rainbow one day and wondered how it would taste. Other sources state that the Wrigley company, founded it in 1891, created the candy along with Extra chewing gum. However, although Wrigley produces Skittles today, after three years of being imported to North America from the UK, Skittles started being manufactured in the US as well as in Britain. There are very many flavors such as original,  sour, tropical, wild berry, America mix, and many more.

Image result for skittle heart

M&Ms chocolate candies are one of the most famous treats in the world, the most popular movie treat next to popcorn, and the most consumed Halloween treat in America. M&M’s stands for Mars & Murrie. Upon returning to the United States, Forest Mars began his own company, Food Products Manufacturing, where he developed, among other things, Uncle Ben’s Rice and Pedigree Pet Foods. In 1940 he began a partnership with Bruce Murrie (the other “M”). M&M’s were first sold in 1941, but when World War II began, they were sold exclusively to the U.S. military. The treats were initially sold in cardboard tubes, but by 1948 the packaging changed to the plastic pouch we know today. Some of the different types of M&M’s include peanuts, caramel, chocolate, peanut butter, almonds, pretzel, crispy, espresso, and mint.

Image result for m&m

In my opinion, I would have to choose Skittles because, even though I love chocolate, it gives me a really bad headache. Another reason I like Skittles more than M&Ms is because of the flavoring; there are so many and a lot of them are good. Even though I choose Skittles, other people have opinions, so I went around my school with Alexis-Rae, and we took polls on which one is better. We asked a total of 150 students and faculty, and 78 people who chose M&Ms and 72 chose Skittles.