What Does Halloween Mean To SHS?

Claire, Staff

In the average high school setting, Halloween can either be the most anticipated holiday of the year, or simply brushed off as childish and boring. But, at heart, we are all children, and at SHS, Halloween, and the arrival of fall in general, serves as a celebration of oncoming cold weather and everything spooky. From a quick glance, it seems that everyone is ready for this holiday, whether it be the costumes, the candy, or the Halloween parties being thrown, but just how much do the students  appreciate October 31st? The survey was given to five students from each class, and four different questions were asked to each student:

• Do you have a costume planned for Halloween?
  • Do you plan on going trick-or-treating?
  • Have you participated/plan to participate in pumpkin-carving?
  • On a scale of 1-5, 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest, how would you rate Halloween as a holiday?

The results of the survey were relatively consistent throughout the classes. For Question 1, 4 out of 5 seniors, 4 out of 5 juniors, 3 out of 5 sophomores, and 3 out of 5 freshman said they had a costume planned out for Halloween this year.

For Question 2, 3 out of 5 seniors, all 5 juniors, 3 out of 5 sophomores, and 2 out of 5 freshman said they were going trick-or-treating this year.

For Question 3, all 5 seniors, all 5 juniors, 2 out of 5 sophomores, and 3 out of 5 freshman said they had/would be participating in pumpkin carving either for Halloween or fall in general.

The final survey question really determines how each class feels about this holiday. When asked to rate Halloween as a national holiday, one senior rated it a 2, one rated it a 4, and the remaining three gave it a 5. For the juniors, two rated it a 3, two rated it a 4, and one rated it a 5. For the sophomores, one gave it a 3, two gave it a four, and one a 5. And finally, three freshman rated it a 4, and two gave it a 5.

Judging by the findings of this survey, I think it’s safe to say that Halloween is quite the popular holiday among our students. Which part is the favorite among the student body (the candy, the costumes, the spookiness), we might not know, but what I can say with confidence is happy Halloween to everybody.

About the Writer
Claire, Staff

Hello, reader! My name is Claire. I’m a pretty normal junior here at SHS who loves zoology too much. I’ve been attending Springville schools almost my whole life, and I have played flute in the band for nearly six years. I’m a member of the Beta Club, and I’m very active in my youth group at First Baptist Church Springville. Most of my free time is spent doing homework for AP classes, but when I’m not doing that, I’m either reading or drawing. In the future, I plan to attend the University of Alabama to study zoology or marine biology. In other words, I can give you a full lecture on whale migration patterns, but asking me about math is more than enough to scare me away. To my own dismay, I’m known for having little-to-no sense of humor, so if you tell me a joke, or something you just think is funny, please don’t be offended if I don’t laugh. Moral of the story: I’m quite boring. That’s all you need to know about me! :3