SHS Outdoor Track & Field Kicks off the 2019 Season

Christopher, Staff

As The 2019 SHS outdoor track seasons starts up, many seniors on the team prepare to say goodbye and leave the program in a bittersweet farewell. Although the seniors will leave, multiple “newbies” are looking to cement themselves as a key team member. These upstarts got their chance to show off their skill at the first JV meet of the season. The JV team traveled to Mountain Brook on March 5.

Many of the runners who made the trip to Mountain Brook were new to the sport, and this was the first taste of the sport they’ve had.  The runners did tremendous for their first time on the track or in the field.

Logan Milner and Ian Orr both ran the 100m dash in under 15 seconds, which leaves room for improvement but is also great for their first time. In the 200m Garret Gore ran a time of 30.65 seconds.  In the 800m, the Tigers had a plethora of runners (mostly middle school). The one leading the Tigers is Zach Posey with a time of 2:35. The Tiger that stood out at this meet is Brock Bowers. He came in third in the 110m hurdles and the 300m hurdles. This was his first meet. He shows promising talent and great room for improvement.

On the girls’ side of the meet, the ladies also showed potential to improve and be a great addition to the team. In the 100m dash Summer Johnson ran a 16.91. Abby Hill threw an 18-05.25 in the shotput, which put her in 9th place. Sadly there were not many high school girls that attended the meet.

You can find the full results at https://al.milesplit.com/meets/340260/results/629408/formatted#.XIJzttJ7nIU.

The first meet for the varsity was on March 9th. Check out The Jungle to see how it went!

*Please note, only the high schoolers were covered at this meet.*

About the Writer
Christopher, Staff

Salutations to the person that is reading this. My name is Chris. I have attended SHS for two years now, and I have spent my time here being awkward and...