Are AP Classes Really Worth the Struggle?

Anna, Staff

Being an AP/pre-AP student, I know the struggle of having hours upon hours of homework a night. AP, or Advanced Placement, is a program created by the College Board which offers “college-level curricula and examinations to high school students” (The College Board). Currently, there are at least 10 AP classes offered to Juniors and Seniors here at Springville High. Each of these curriculums is extremely rigorous and is focused at getting students ready to pass an end-of-the-year comprehensive exam that will determine if you are eligible to receive college credit. Depending on your score, colleges may give you multiple credits so you will not have to take the coordinating class in college. However, is taking an AP class really worth risking a year’s worth of arduous work for the possibility to fail the exam and have to retake the class in college? Many teachers teach on the idea that we are still children and should stay that way for as long as possible. Yet, why does the AP curriculum contradict that principle in giving us an adult’s workload? 

I am also currently taking 2 college semesters in dual enrollment under Mr. Alexander. Mr. Alexander is a professor at Jefferson State that travels to Springville to teach History 101 and History 201 to various students. Dual enrollment provides qualified professors teaching the material versus a high school teacher attempting to master the AP course. Being taught by an actual professor, I have learned that college classes are indeed much easier and less time-consuming than many AP classes. In my opinion, if you are hard-working and determined to pass the end exam, AP classes can be very beneficial so that you can already have many classes completed. However, if you value free time and don’t want to give it up for mere schoolwork, dual enrollment classes many better suit your needs. 

About the Writer
Anna, staff

Aloha, my name is Hannah, or according to some people Hbev! Yes, I get called Hannah Montana every second of my life...but hey I'm 17 and absolutely obsessed...