School Clubs, Why You Should Join

Anna, Staff

As the school year is coming to a close (21 days until summer break officially begins), students are preparing for exams, seniors are excited about graduation and counselors are beginning to tackle the inevitable task of registering us for classes next year. With the coming year in mind, many may be wondering about various school clubs and which ones to join. Here are some of the various clubs offered at SHS and the benefits of each. 

Beta Club: motto-Let Us Lead by Serving Others. Beta Club is a student-lead organization offered to current Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors enrolled in Springville High. In the Beta Club, students must work diligently throughout the school year to perform many school service projects such as the canned food drive, jacket drive, shoe drive, spring clean, Wreaths Across America, free tutoring, and much more. Each member is required to reach 20 hours; however, is not difficult to achieve due to the plethora of projects offered throughout the year. Beta Club also helps teach each student the benefits of leadership and service in both the school and the community. The National Beta Club is an excellent choice if you are looking for a club that is geared toward improving the school in each way possible. 

Key Club: Like Beta Club, Key Club is a student-lead organization facilitated by Mrs. Umphrey. The club’s main objectives are leadership, character building, caring and inclusiveness. Throughout the year, students will try and gain 20 community/school service hours by participating in many projects ranging from The Moody Miracle League to the canned food drive to Operation Christmas Child and everything in between. Like Beta Club, Key Club is also largely focused at improving the school and local community in many ways and would be an excellent choice as a club to join. 

Student Council: The motto of Student Council is Go, Serve, and Lead, which is the overall focus of the club. Student Council performs a multitude of events such as the Dating Game, Senior Survivor, recycling and student council is in-charge of our favorite week of the the year: Homecoming. Overseen by Mrs. Riker, Student Council is student-led and focuses on projects within the school to predominantly benefit SHS but also donates some of the proceeds to different causes such as the Make-A-Wish foundation and others. Along with elected offices within Student Council, it is also composed of the class officers in each grade. So, whether you are interested in leading student Council or your graduating class, Student Council would be an amazing Club to consider. 

Along with these 3 clubs, there are many other exemplary clubs offered here at Springville High that meet the needs of many people. For instance, FFA, FCCLA, FCA, Mu Alpha Theta, and many more. So if you are interested in getting more involved in the school, a school club is an exceptional place to start. 

About the Writer
Anna, staff

Aloha, my name is Hannah, or according to some people Hbev! Yes, I get called Hannah Montana every second of my life...but hey I'm 17 and absolutely obsessed...